David Bell is a director, animator, and visual artist based in Brooklyn, NY. His work spans disciplines and mediums from stop-motion animation and live action, to drawing, painting, sculpture, miniatures, and puppetry. David has created work for some of the world's leading brands and agencies.
He has directed projects for Lowes, PNC Bank, Prudential, Comcast, Aetna, Tiffany's and more.
David founded Big Object in 2015 with Joe Scarpulla as a venue for their commercial and animation work.
He is the recipient of the Grand Jury Prize at the SXSW Film Festival for his animation work with Joe Scarpulla and Tatia Rosenthal on the documentary film Beware of Mr Baker by director Jay Bulger. Their photography work has been exhibited internationally and they are currently in the final phases of production on a 20 minute stop-motion animated film called The Sacred Engine.
Their collaborative work can be seen at bell-scarpulla.com and bigobjectstudio.com
David has taught stop-motion animation and sculpture at the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan, and at Parsons The New School for Design.
He is a graduate of Parsons: The New School for Design
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- Menagerie, 67 West Studios - Brooklyn, NY (2017)
- Drawings, L'Atelier Berkshires - NY (2017)
- Pencil and Paper, L'Atelier Berkshires - NY (2017)
- Surviving the Eye (as Bell-Scarpulla), Secret Project Robot - NY (2013)
- Stop-Motion in NY (as Bell-Scarpulla) - Brooklyn Fireproof Gallery - NY (2012)
- Puppets on Film - Port City Puppet Festival, Wilmington NC (2010)
- Wildly Different Things (as Bell-Scarpulla) - Sir Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin, Ireland, (2010)
- The Emancipation of the Grotesque - Antagonist Gallery - NY (2005)
- 2 Year Anniversary Exhibition - Antagonist Gallery - NY (2004)
- Antagonist Gallery - NY (2003)
- Illustration Exhibition - Parsons: The New School for Design - NY (2003)
- Springman ARTrock - Cupertino, CA (2003)
- Borders to Bridges - Kings College - NY (2003)
- 1 Year Anniversary Exhibition - Antagonist Gallery - NY (2003)
- Coz Gallery - NY (2002)
- Antagonist Gallery - NY (2002)
- Guns andCoffee -Antagonist Gallery - NY (2002)
- Illustration Showcase - Parsons Gallery - NY (2002)
- The Three Bodied Head - Parsons Gallery - NY (2001)
- Purple Door – Purple Door Festival – PA (1999)
- Annual Juried Exhibition - NVCC Gallery - VA (1999)
SELECTED SOLO EXHIBITIONS
- 46 Grand - NY (2002)
- Cosi Gallery - NY (2001)
- Jamie’s Gallery - Fairfax, VA (1999)
- Parsons School of Design - Stop-Motion animation seminar (2016)
- School of Visual Arts - Animation Craft (2010)
- School of Visual Arts - (2009)
- Parsons School of Design - NY (2004)